Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I emailed a few days ago. I was concerned as I had

Customer Question

I emailed a few days ago. I was concerned as I had swollen breasts that started on the first day of my period and are still sore four days afterwards. They have gone down a lot but now I have noticed some bloody discharge. I am feeling sick with worry. I must add that I have been 'checking' for blood every time that I have been to the toilet today (I have been putting my fingers in to see) My period ended on Friday. I am not pregnant as I just took a test. I have been stressing a lot about all of this and feel ill. Please help me to calm down .
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.A few questions first to clarify your concern:1. What is the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP)?2. Do you have periods every month, i.e. 28-30 days? If not what is your menstrual cycle length?3. What type of birth control method (BCM) do you use4. Do you have any medical health issues? If so what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your email. My last period started on the 8th April and it lasted until the 15th April (the period was quite erratic and I had a few days of on and off bleeding.) My breasts started to hurt on the first day of my period which is unusual for me and they are still a little tender (but better). I am currently not on any birth control but I did take the emergency contraceptive in February. The discharge today is brown and not really visible unless I really 'check' for it. My period finally stopped on Friday. I do not have any medical issues and my period is usually 5 days. It does, however get affected by stress.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. First, if you had a normal period, in terms of amount and duration, then you are not pregnant. However if this period was different, especially lighter or shorter in duration then you should get a pregnancy test in about 2 weeks to make sure. It is important to remember that breast swelling & tenderness are signs associated with a normal period as well as pregnancy. While you may not have had these symptoms in the past with your period then can occur with any period and may not be with each period. You should also remember that taking the emergency contraception can throw your menstrual cycle off, and it may take a few cycles before your usual period (including symptoms) return to normal. At this point,all that you have told me does not convince me that you are pregnant. You will most likely have a return to your usual menstrual symptom with the next cycle. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr Kala,
Thank you for your email. The brown discharge has continued and there is a bit of blood now. I have been really really upset and stressed and have hardly been sleeping or eating for worrying. Do you think this is now affecting the bleeding? Went to the doctor yesterday who said the emergency pill has probably upset my hormonal balance but I can't stop worrying which seems to be making it worse.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the stress is affecting your cycle. Stressing, worrying are all things that will create havoc in your menstrual cycle, as I stated above . I would recommend start getting some regular exercise, walking at least 5 times a week for an hour of which 30 min is fast walking to raise your heartbeat. This will do a lot to relieve stress, in addition to improving our overall heath & heart strength.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** good advice. Hopefully things will all return to normal soon, especially as I am trying not to worry and stress.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
You are welcomed.Please feel free to ask for me for your next health question. Have a wonderful weekend.