Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Ive been given Elleste duet 1mg seq HRT. Ive been told

Hello ive been given Elleste duet 1mg seq HRT. Ive been told to come back in 6 months time. for a follow up appointment. Ive a history of endometriosis and ive had my gallbladder removed. is this appropriate?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Please tell me what your periods have been like in the past 6 months (irregular, heavy)?Do you have pain from the endometriosis?Do you have other symptoms of perimenopause (hot flashes, night sweats)? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both really.Not suffering from endo at the moment. I had the Hysteroscopy about 10 years ago.Yes both of those. Ive been having them for about 3 years. I reported them to my GP in 2013, its in the record.HMG
Elleste duet is for menopausal symptoms. It's sequential pills containing estrogen for the first 16 days and then estrogen plus progesterone for the next 12 days.I don't think Elleste duet is really designed for women having irregular and heavy periods. You could try it and see how well it works for you. However, combined birth control pills (estrogen and progesterone daily for 3 weeks out of 4) usually work much better to control periods.Either one would usually help your hot flashes and night sweats, although combined birth control pills may do so better.Combined birth control pills are one of the best ways we have to control periods (both heavy and irregular). I don't think Elleste duet is likely to do that very well, but time will tell.Combined pills also tend to work better for endometriosis, although that doesn't seem to be a significant problem at present.So Elleste duet wouldn't have been my choice, but it may work for you.
Thank you for your payment and rating.