Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

HiPlease could I get some expert advice on low risk Hpv,

HiPlease could I get some expert advice on low risk Hpv, whether the virus is transitory? contagious forever? and level of risk of transmission to partners and level of risk of acquiring new strains myself?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have warts? Does your partner? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi no I don't, but I did have 17 years ago. My partner of 3 years does not have any. My previous partner of nearly 10 years did not have any either. I acquired them from my first partner prior to this who had no symptoms.
HPV is the virus which causes genital warts (and other types of warts). Usually our bodies will clear the HPV virus over 1-2 years, but sometimes the virus stays in our bodies for many years.Usually if you don't have any warts for a few years, that means that your body has cleared the virus. However, there is no way to be certain about that, and we don't have tests available to know whether a person has low risk HPV. The only way we can know is if warts appear.HPV is very contagious, so it's easy to catch if exposed to the virus. Most genital warts are acquired through sexual contact, so the only way you or your partner would get genital warts would be to be exposed to someone who had HPV. That usually means someone who had active genital warts.So as long as you and your partner don't have any visible genital warts, the likelihood of getting them are extremely low, and you can probably forget about them. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response, I thought it had gone but have developed anxiety after reading that it might not be the case. I'm finding it really difficult to accept.I'm worried I could pass it on and could acquire new strains especially as my first partner showed no signs. I've read that it always remains but in a dormant state. Are you sure however that your body can rid itself of the virus?I don't need to 'warn' my partner and advise they get the vaccine?Should I get the vaccine myself?I understand most people get Hpv. Is it likely that most people acquire both high and low risk strains of the virus in their lifetime?
The body can definitely clear the HPV. It's thought that this is what happens 90% of the time. Perhaps 10% of the time it can remain in a dormant state.The vaccine is a good idea for young people. It is recommended for women up to the age of 26 (age 21 for males). It's not recommended for older people because it's not effective against any HPV strains that we've already been exposed to. Some doctors might give it to someone your age if she has had very few sex partners in her life.You don't need to warn sex partners. Most women have had HPV, although many may not be aware of it.Most people probably acquire both high risk and low risk strains of the virus in their lifetime.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank youI take it that I'm no more a risk to my partner as he is to me or anyone who is sexually active is to anyone else?
That's correct.Please click the rating stars. Thank you.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.