Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I'm 7.6 days pregnant - my HCG levels since I found out I was

I'm 7.6 days pregnant - my HCG levels since I found out I was pregnant after IVF were always slightly slower doubling every 3 days and not every 48 hours. I had my first ultrasound at 6 weeks it was 2.5mm (yolk and sac) there was another sac but it was empty. At 6.2 weeks it was 3.6mm (strong heartbeat) and 6.6 weeks it was 4.3mm. Each time I was told by the fertility clinic it was smaller than they wanted. I waited until 7.5 weeks and I was told by my fertility clinic I was measuring 7.8-8mm and strong heartbeat and then last night I didn't feel too well. I went to the early pregnancy unit this morning and they said the heartbeat was still strong but the size they measured 3 times was 5.3mm which puts me back to 6.1 weeks and I'm nearly 8 weeks!
I'm completely freaking out as I'm 43 and this is our last chance at IVF - I don't know if the baby is shrinking and the pregnancy is starting to fail or how the measurements are so different in one day and what this means for the normal development of my baby.
Please help I feel like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown over this.
Thanks v much
Fiona Skinner
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question.I understand how stressing it can be as my wife also had an IVF. Measurements so early in the course of pregnancy are actually not very accurate. So I would not rely on these measurements too much at all.I understand that waiting is really tough and stressful but that is what you have to do. Wait a few more weeks and then get an ultrasound done.Meanwhile it is a good idea to keep monitoring the HCG levels as these levels give a fair idea.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end at the top right hand corner.Kindest regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.
This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your answer and great to hear you understand the stress of IVF.Can you let us know if you have had any experience with people who were measuring 2 weeks smaller (6 weeks when they were 8 weeks) with a heartbeat and they had healthy babies.What could be the reason that the baby is so small? How likely is this to be chromosomal abnormalities?I don't know what to think as I've been told by the clinic there's a chance with a heartbeat but he also said if it continues at this level of growth 1mm in a week when I go for my scan next Wed then I may need to prepare myself that there may not be a heartbeat next week.What do you think please?Thanks so much
Fiona
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello did you get my email above thanks?Fiona
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your followup question.Yes there is a good chance that you will have a healthy baby still.I would not be too hopeless as yet and I do agree with your doctor in that we need to be following you up closely and monitoring the growth and heartbeat of your baby to be sure.I understand that you must be really stressed and I feel for you. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi thereHave you had any similar experiences with patients who had my level of growth at this stage?Thanks v much
Fiona
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
And had healthy babies?What may be the reason for the slow growth at this atage please?Thanks
Fiona
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.
Thank you so much for your response.Can you please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end before we proceed.I would appreciate that.Thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi thereHave you had any similar experiences with patients who had my level of growth at this stage and had healthy babies?I'm just waiting for an answer on this question.Thanks v much
Fiona
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.
Yes, it is not uncommon to have babies that have slow growth in the beginning and then the growth normalizes later on.So I am still very hopeful in your case. Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options as that is the only way I am credited on here by the website.Regards
Dr. SH, Doctor
Experience: Doctor of Medicine