Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 42 and hve 2 children who are 4 and 2. We never had

I am 42 and hve 2 children who are 4 and 2. We never had any trouble getting pregnant with the last two so thought it would be the same for the third. We are trying 3 months now but to no avail. I went and had some bloods taken which showed FSH of 10, LH of 8 and AMH of 1.4. Doctor thought AMH was very low and said it would be difficult to get pregnant. What do I do. I am going to get a follicle tracking scan on Friday to give me some more informationWhat I would like to know is
What is your opinion on these results?
What can I do next? Are there further tests I should do?
Would clomid be something that could help me?
Would Ivf be an option for me
Will I conceive naturally.
My periods are between 28-31 days
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Was the FSH done on day 3 of your cycle?How regular are your periods? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FSH taken on day 2 as day 3 was a Sunday and doctors closed. My period comes either on 28, 29,30 or31 of the month.
Your results are borderline. They are fairly typical for a woman age 42.Fertility decreases with age, especially after age 40, so it's not surprising that you're taking longer to get pregnant at age 43.Normal values for test results vary somewhat in different labs, but an AMF of 1.4 would be considered low normal in many labs. Low AMF would be 0.5-1.0.FSH is also borderline, with less than 9 normal, 9-11 suggesting slightly decreased fertility.I doubt that further tests would be helpful.I would concentrate on detecting when ovulation occurs and have intercourse soon before ovulation. You can do that with urine ovulation tests, which will be positive a day or so before you ovulate.Clomid is mostly helpful if you're not ovulating. Most likely you are ovulating, and the ovulation tests should help to confirm that.I think you will most likely conceive naturally. If you don't, then IVF is an option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I emailed a fertility clinic and the guy said based on AMH level I had as much chance conceiving naturally as I would with a round if ivf. What is your opinion on the follicle tracking scan. Ovulation sticks are indicating I am still ovulating. Does AMH level mean my eggs are low
A follicle tracking scan will observe when you are getting ready to ovulate by doing several ultrasounds around ovulation time. At this point, I wouldn't recommend it, but you could do it to know a little more about your ovulation. But unless you do it every month, it only tells you about the one month when it's done. You're probably better off just using urine ovulation predictors, especially since they show ovulation.Low AMH means that your eggs are getting low.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think about doctors advice about ivf? What is IUI and would it work for me
Most likely normal intercourse will work for you. If not, then you could try IUI, which is Intrauterine Insemination, where the sperm is spun down and put into the uterus through the cervix. It's questionable whether IUI gets sperm into the uterus any better than intercourse, but it may be something to try later.I think you would have a better chance conceiving with IVF than naturally, but in my opinion, the difference in chances would not be worth the cost and stress.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Someone mentioned taking clomid. How do I know if I am ovulating. If I get periods does that mean I am ovulating. Would the follicle tracking scan tell me if I am ovulating. Are there further tests to tell me?
As long as your periods are pretty regular, urine ovulation tests are all you need to confirm ovulation. Follicle tracking scans will also confirm it, at least for the month when they are done.Please click the rating stars. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr norm
I have one last question before I rate you.
I had a transvaginal scan done today. It showed I had no cysts, polps and my lining was fine. It showed I ovulated in my right ovary last month but currently no follicles there at the moment. The left follicle showed just one follicle. I am on day 3 of my cycle. I am going back to see if this follicle develops.it is 0.26 cm in size
My question is
Are these good results?
Can I get pregnant with just the one follicle
Would clomid help to stimulate more follicles
If you only release one egg why am I less fertile than someone with loads of eggs?
Eggs and follicles start developing a few days after a period starts. It's normal to have few follicles on day 3.These are normal results.Your own pituitary will stimulate follicles.If you want to know how many follicles develop, a scan done around day 8-10 will tell you.You are less fertile because of your age. Several follicles will usually develop, but then one becomes a dominant follicle and the rest recede.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a scan again on day 11. She thought 11 might be better than day 9. Would clomid help to stimulate follicles.
You've already asked about clomid. It's primarily for women who don't ovulate.Please click the rating stars. Thank you.