Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I took ella one tonight as I had missed a pill in my pack

Customer Question

I took ella one tonight as I had missed a pill in my pack and had been vomiting.
Should I take my break now to see if my period comes? How soon can I go on my microgynon pill again and will it be effective straight away ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry for the delay.Rather than take your break, I would continue your pills as you normally would. Stopping the pills early also stops your protection, so that you would not then be protected until you were back on the pill for 7 days.Chances of pregnancy are exceedingly low. Just missing one pill usually doesn't increase your risk of pregnancy very much, and having taken Ella, there is almost no chance of pregnancy. I hope that's helpful.