Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I have several black spots in my private area. My np said it

Customer Question

I have several black spots in my private area. My np said it was due to lack of hormones (I'm past menopayse). She said not to worry about them. She isn't in practice anymore. Today one of the spots became enlarged & painful. I squeezed it and a hard black lump came out and some bloody pus. What's going on?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.A few questions first to clarify your concern:1. What is the size of these spots: pencil head, dime, pin head?2. How long has it been since the first time you saw the spots?3. Exactly where are they located? Labia(Lips), groin area, pubic bone area4. Do you shave in that area?5. Are the spots located around a hair?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) some are pin head size, some a bit larger.
2) I don't normally look in that area, so I don't know how long they have been there. I have not been sexually active in 10 years.
3) Labia. They appear to be along blood vessel lines and actually look like blood blisters
4) No
5) No
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
1. Are they flat or raised?2. Since you have been observing them have they changed size?3. How many are there altogether? Has the number of spots increased during this observation time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some are flat, some are raised. There are probably 20 of them. I think there are more than when I first noticed
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. Given your description several possible causes/diagnoses come to mind. These could be pigmented spots (PS) which occur as one ages, in any skin areas, they may have been there for some time and only now you realize because of the darkening. Or they could be pigmented moles (PM) which have recently arisen. Whenever there are pigmented areas of the skin that change, then a closer examination, under a magnifying glass or microscope, and a possible biopsy is indicated. It is also possible that these are small warts, caused by the HPV virus. But only closer inspection will determine exactly what they are. A simple office biopsy can resolve this issue very quickly & should have been done when you first complained of them to the NP. At this point you need an MD evaluation if the NP is not going to proceed in a organized fashion. I also suggest you ask your primary care provider for a dermatology referral as soon as possible since you state some of them are raised. If you get the dermatology appointment in the next few weeks that would be appropriate. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time and feel free to ask for me for your next health question