How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 11252
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now

I am a 52 year old postmenopausal woman, 3 years ago after 4

Resolved Question:

I am a 52 year old postmenopausal woman, 3 years ago after 4 attempts of obtaining a cervical smear pap test ( they kept coming back as inadequate - not enough cells ) I had to have a colposcopy to check every thing was ok. I was given a clean bill of health. I found the whole thing extremely stressful as it tock nearly a year of tests. I have just been called back for routine screening after only 3 years. I am fearful that I will have to go through the whole thing again in order to get an adequate sample. Do you think that as ever thing was fine 3 years ago I could wait another 2 years and miss this screening, it will then only be 5 years since the colposcopy and I have had 17 years of clear pap tests - only ever one test 17 years ago that showed borderline changes that were normal 3 months later ... please can you advise, I want to try and keep my stress levels down. Thank you very much
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Did you have HPV testing 3 years ago?Have you had any new sex partner in the past 3 years?Do you take any hormones? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not but I am married and have had no other sexual partners nor has my husband and i am not on any hormone replacements
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In England they only do HPV testing if there are abnormal cells, rather annoyingly .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what I was planning to do was go for the first test having had a course of vaginal oestrogen pessaries and if that came back as inadequate not go through the whole process again until its been 5 years. I know nothing is ever risk free, but do you think its a calculated risk that is worth taking given the small changes of me developing cervical cancer in that time frame and the stress of testing and the psychological harm I feel it does me. thank you
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry. The site did not inform me of your response.I agree with you that your risk is very low, so whatever you do, I wouldn't worry much.I also agree with your plan to use vaginal estrogen before getting tested. If you do that, I think the chance of an inadequate sample is small.In the US, we would recommend a Pap and HPV test, and if both are negative, repeat in 5 years. However, the English system also can work very well.So I would recommend a Pap smear now after using vaginal estrogen. Most likely it will be normal. If it is inadequate, you are probably justified in waiting until it's been 5 years, assuming no new sex partners. Best wishes, and again I apologize that it's taken so long to get back to you.
Dr. Norm S. and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your payment and rating.