Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Sorry to bother you My name is***** My wife

Hi sorry to bother you
My name is*****
My wife Karen was admitted to hospital on 1st may with a massive amount of fluid built up inside her abdominal cavity. This was causing breathing problems as the pressure was building up on her lungs
The consultant saw Karen for a few mins on 2nd May but has not been back to see her since. Every other day the nurses try to drain off fluid but Karens blood pressure drops so they stop.
Karen still has some breathing problems due to the pressure of the fluid.
So far ofter 10 days no pathology report no information on what they think is causing the problem. Also no possible diagnosis or treatment plan has been discussed with us.
10 days seems like along time we are no further forward than 10 days ago.
What do you the best thing for us to do please
Alan
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Alan,I'm sorry to hear about your wife.Has she had any scans to discover the cause of the fluid buildup?Has she had other tests done? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for getting back so soon
Karen was admitted on first may
Had blood tests no feedback to us exempt indicated the Karen may have infection so been on intravenous antibiotics since then
Ct scan on 3rd revieled nodules but not told where
Fitted drain to abdomen on 3rd may and took biopsy but no rules given to us
Took more blood tests over coming days but no feed back
Drained 3.7 litres of fluid on 3rd
But each time they try to drain off fluid now when they get to 500l karens blood pressure drops so they stop
Spoke to Karen this morning and she said fluid has built up to the same as on 1st may and is affecting her breathing again
Just concerned about perceived lack of action and plan to deal with whatever is causing the problem.
It's affecting Karens moral at the moment not having any feedback from the consultant
Thanks for taking the time to read this. Sorry about lack of info but we have non
Look forward to hearing from you
Alan
If you can't get information from the consultant, it seems like you need a new consultant.I'm not sure exactly how the system works in the UK. In the US, when a doctor is not meeting your needs, you can usually see another doctor.The first priority would be to find out the cause of the fluid buildup. Since the CT showed nodules, that makes cancer a likely cause. This could likely be verified by looking for cancer cells in the fluid that is removed. Surgery could also determine the cause.
Abdominal fluid is also called ascites. A common cause for ascites is liver disease, such as cirrhosis. This is usually caused by alcoholism, but there are other possible causes. Blood tests could show whether the problem is with the liver.If the ascites was caused by cancer, usually the cancer would be seen on CT, such as ovarian cancer or pancreatic cancer.
Draining off the fluid is only a temporary solution, since it usually just builds back up. To stop the buildup of the fluid requires finding out the cause of the ascites. Since Karen has been in the hospital for 9 days, the cause should be known by now.You say a biopsy was done, so that result should be back, and should probably tell the cause.I think you need to insist on speaking with the consultant and find answers to your questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks fo getting back to me so soon
I think that you have confirmed what we were both thinking and that we need to politely but very firmly insist on some answers and to know what the consultant proposes to do
Will insist on sing him this afternoon with Karen
Thanks for your support we know the right things to do now
Kind regards Alan
Thank you for your payment and rating.