Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am a 55 woman, 5ft 6 125lbs, very fit, I have had five children

I am a 55 woman, 5ft 6 125lbs, very fit, I have had five children and am post menopausal since in was 42. I have about four weeks ago had a very small amount of pink discharge, then nothing then again two days ago, we are talking very small amounts. I had the same about four years ago and had a Trans Vaginal Ultrasound which was normal, as its now done it again I am worried its cancer. I have no other symptoms.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Do you take any hormones?Are you sexually active? If so, does the pink discharge come after sex?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Hormones, not sexually active
Bleeding after menopause (post menopausal bleeding) is common, and usually from benign causes rather than cancer. However, since there is a chance of cancer, it's important to have it checked.A common cause of postmenopausal bleeding is atrophic endometrium, the thin and fragile uterine lining that commonly occurs due to low estrogen after menopause. An ultrasound will show this thin endometrium, and that rules out uterine cancer.Your doctor will first do an exam to be sure that you have no polyps or other growths in the vagina or cervix. Then an ultrasound will probably be done. If the lining is thin, that's the end of it.If the lining isn't so thin, then you would need evaluation of the lining, either by an endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix) or D&C.Bleeding or spotting can sometimes be caused by a benign buildup of the uterine lining, and that can be resolved either with a D&C or by using hormones.Just in case cancer is found, it's the kind that we can often cure by hysterectomy. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment and rating.