Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I have a problem with my period I haven't had a period

Customer Question

I have a problem with my period I haven't had a period last month and up to now. I had all the sign of the period is coming (back pain, spot on my face & Brest swollen) and I'm not pregnant and my period is already irregular and also I am having pain on my right overy what is that can be? Can u help plz
Thanks,
Mariam
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.A few questions first to clarify your concern:1. What is the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP)?2. Have you taken a pregnancy test? If so what was the date & result?3. Have you taken a air flight recently? If so when4. Have you had a weight change of more than 5 pounds in the last several months?5. Are you having unprotected sex (not using condoms, birth control pill (BCP), or any method) during the 2 previous months?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1- first day of my period was on 29/03/16
2- pregnancy test on 10/04/16 result negative
3- No I haven't been on air flight
4- yes I have I used to weight 69kg and now am 72kg
5- No,I don't use anything my husband lives abroad , so when I go see him I don't use any Because we trying for baby .
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
one thing I forgot I had an ultrasound scan and it's shows everything is normal
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your responses and information. The medication you have been taking, i.e. Duphaston is a progestagen and can have side effects to include reduced menstrual blood flow and even absence of periods. Since you have been on it for 3 months you will need to wait until your own hormones take over and allow for a buildup of the endometrium lining. It is this lining that was made thin with the medication and thus the reason for the absence of a period. I would tell you that it may take up to 3-6 months for your normal period returns, which is why I do not use this medication in women who know they will want to get pregnant in a defined period of time. It is also important to remember that many life changes can affect a woman's cycle. Stress, airline travel, weight change, medications, infection, and anxiety are just a few. So given your travel history this could be the reason for your current irregular cycle. However these little changes generally resolve on their own without treatment. So for now, continue taking prenatal vitamins to ensure you baby will have all of the necessary minerals & nutrients to grow healthy. While it may be difficult when one is eager to get pregnant, you will need to relax and now worry over this delay. Make sure you are exercising regularly to help improve your physical and emotional health. Since your ultrasound was normal, and did not show evidence of a cyst at the time it was taken that is good. But if you are having pain on one side it could be to the development of a ovarian cyst, only another ultrasound will be able to determine. The pain could also be to intestinal discomfort, and the pain may resolve after having a bowel movement. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dear dr kale,
The medication I have told you about it was pracripted for me this year in jannary after a visit to gynocologist as I had this problem last year where by I have my period missed for 3months (October ,November & December ) I must mention that my period was regular until the last passed 2 years 2013-2014 it start playing out I get one month and missed one month but last year 2015 I had it regular every month I have my period I got married last year 2nd August had it on 3rd week after my wedding and September I had it too but after that I didn't have it .
The gynocologist said the tablets will help bring my period back which actually happened and help but after my last tablet of the 3rd pack which was on 20/3/16 and had my period on 29 /03/16 . I have noticed that the flew of my period it become only 3days instead of 4 days and I don't get no more any discharge .
As for the pain I got its on my right ovary and when the pain start I can feel it's so hot (temperature goes up on that ovary only )
My last air flight was this year 22/03/16.
You have mentioned to take vitamins so what type of vitamins do u advice me to have please ??
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 8 months ago.
As stated above I recommended prenatal vitamin; whenever a woman is trying to get pregnant she should start taking the prenatal vitamins at least 3 months prior to conception to ensure sufficient intake of folate. Folate is crucial to the normal development of the baby's nervous system. So start taking the prenatal vitamins now. Generally Duphaston is prescribed during the first 3 months of the pregnancy, I do not prescribe it prior to a positive pregnancy test. So at this point it is unclear to me why your GYN MD has you on it if you are not pregnant. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm going for another ultrasound scan next week for the pain on my ovary let see what is the result ?
And doctor if after 3months I don't get my period what shall I do then ?? What will be your advice or recommendations for me??
It really stress me out that I don't get my period especially as I already said to you when is the time for it I get all the symptoms and crumps on my belly and it feels like it's due but after couple of day nothing happened
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 8 months ago.
If after 3 months off the medication and no period I would1. check your hormones, just to make sure they are within normal range;2. Encourage you to lose the weight you gained as this could be inhibiting the normal hormonal cyclical changes;3. Finally I would consider a short course of combination BCP, as this may help the ovaries to rest and the abrupt cessation of BCP often causes women to have increased ovarian egg production. Many of my patients who stop taking combo BCP (i.e. contains the estrogen & progesterone hormone) get pregnant within 1-2 months of stopping the BCP. Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time and feel free to ask for me for your next health question
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I see you do not have any other questions at this time. Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my timeHave a great day!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dear dr kala,
I have 2 more question to ask please :
1- with my period Problem like this will it be difficult for me to conceive and have a baby??
2- I know it might be a hormon problem and i have spoken to my gp and she referred me to do a full blood test for my hormon i will b going Monday for the to have it
my question is incase the result comes normal what's the next step to take ? And If it appear there is a problem what is there to do to make my hormon right ??
I'm to much conserned about all this ?
Please get back to me
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dear dr kala,
I have 2 more question to ask please :
I'm to much conserned about all this ?
Please get back to me
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 8 months ago.
At this point it is hard to say if you will have a difficult time getting pregnant because there are many factors that contribute to a successful pregnancy. However today there are many treatment methods to help a woman to get pregnant. Generally we wait until a woman has not been able to get pregnant after a year of actively trying to get pregnant. That means having sex at once a day during your fertile week. This can be determined or helped with an ovulation kit.If you do have difficulty then your provider should refer you to an infertility specialist who can guide the treatment plans. Take care