Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm 40 and I had my period on 4th May. Normal period but

Hi I'm 40 and I had my period on 4th May. Normal period but heavy but nothing out of the original. Stop for 3 days, had intercourse. Then 2 day after that been very lightly spotting only when I wipe for the wee, it's pinky red in discharge. Been spotting on and off for 3 day now. Worried, I do have a erosion on cervix but never normally had spotting lasting this long. I had a smear March 2015 all normal. Always had normal smear test. I did have DCIS (pre cancer) in right breast 2012 which was all removed.
Obviously I'm concerned
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Are your periods usually quite regular?Do you use anything for birth control? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes normally regular but I've had times when messed about then righted themselves. No birth control, discharge seems more today as calendar day 12 and clearer. Last spotting was first thing this morning a little mixed with discharge
Your spotting is most likely due to the hormonal changes that come with being 40 years old. It's very unlikely to be from cancer, since you've had a fairly recent Pap smear (rules out cervical cancer), and uterine cancer generally occurs after menopause or in women with a history of very irregular periods.The spotting is also unlikely to have anything to do with your previous DCIS.The cervical erosion can cause spotting after intercourse, but is unlikely to cause the kind of spotting that you've been having.Hopefully the spotting will resolve itself soon. If not, I would see your doctor. After being sure that everything else seems normal, some progesterone pills will usually clear up the spotting. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** it be okay to wait to next cycle and if spotting occurs again after period go and see the Doctor. Would you agree.?
Does being 40 mean that periods and cycle can start to mess about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would progesterone pills be okay after have pre invasion breast cancer. It was never tested DCIS, so not sure if hormone related. Would want to take something that would encourage breast cancer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also does ovarian cancer cause spotting?
Yes, it would be okay to wait to next cycle, although if the spotting continues for several weeks, it's probably better to get it taken care of. If it stops soon, then I would wait to see whether it happens again.It's not unusual to have periods become more irregular with occasional spotting after age 40.Progesterone pills would be okay after DCIS, especially since it would just be for a short time.Ovarian cancer does not generally cause spotting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank for answering my question I will see how it goes and see my gp if still happening. Just was concerned if I should see him straight away
You're welcome. I wouldn't be much concerned or rush in right away.Please click the rating stars. Thank you.
Thank you for your payment and rating.