Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm 33 & haven't had a period years until a month ago &

Hi, I'm 33 & haven't had a period for 10 years until a month ago & since then I haven't stopped, & it's very heavy (probably about half a tea cup a day give or take) & contains small clots. I'm having to use both internal & external protection & change regularly, setting alarm for the middle of the night so I don't leak, & it's showing no sign of stopping yet whatsoever. I had quite intense cramps for the first week, bad enough that I had to stay curled up with a h/w bottle all day. It's so bad it's making me tired & lethargic & I have a pounding headache. I really am beginning to worry. Any suggestions please?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

You need to see your doctor. Your uterine lining probably got built up much during that 10 years when you had no period. Now that thick lining is causing the bleeding.

Cancer might be possible, but it's more likely that it's just thick lining.

Your doctor may wish to do an endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix to sample the uterine lining). That would rule out cancer. Then some hormone pills will help to clean of the uterine lining and stop the bleeding. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My sister said I might need a D & C, but that terrifies me. She also wondered if the loss of so much blood could be causing the tiredness & sudden strangely bitter taste my blood has if my gums bleed over the last few days. Could it all be down to this menstruation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I presume the tests/treatments your describing can only be done when I'm not menstruating, but how do I get this bleeding to stop. A month is quite long enough, I just want it to go now, so I can stop feeling so dirty & disgusting all the time. It's really beginning to take its toll on me in many ways. I'm sorry for being so negative. I know its something natural, I just have a very serious aversion to the whole messy business.

A D&C would be one solution, because it would stop the bleeding plus give the diagnosis. It's usually a fairly simple procedure, and you'd have enough anesthesia so that you'd have no pain.

But either the D&C or the endometrial biopsy can be done while you're bleeding. There is no use in waiting for the bleeding to stop, as it could be a long time.

The D&C gets it all over quickly, whereas the biopsy and then hormonal treatment take a while for the bleeding to stop.

Please see your doctor so you can get it taken care of.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thank you so much for your advice & your time. Now I know I'm not wasting their time I'll try to make a GP appointment tomorrow (I've just moved to a completely new area & I've registered with a new surgery, but not been seen by one of their Drs yet). Thank you again, R

You're welcome.

Please click the rating stars. Thank you.