Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I'm on the contraceptive pill and have been getting a dull

I'm on the contraceptive pill and have been getting a dull ache around my lower abdomen and I was spitting blood a tiny bit this morning. I've not missed a period or missed a pill so I don't think it's pregnancy. What could this be?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I meant spotting blood
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
It is always a good idea to do a pregnancy test to be sure If you have not missed a pill or a period, it is very unlikely that you are pregnant. Breakthrough bleeding or spotting is a side effect of being on the pill. It happens for no apparent reason and cannot be changed. It does not necessarily mean anything is wrong. You should not change your pill due to one episode of breakthrough bleeding. You should also not change to a higher pill. Sometimes stds like chlamydia can cause spotting. If you are at risk of stds, you should be tested. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been with my boyfriend for 6 years and are both our first and only sexual partners so I very highly doubt I have an std.. We use condoms aswell as the pill too. Thankyou for your help
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
This is generally a sporadic side effect of the pill and nothing to worry about. It does not mean anything is wrong. It happens to almost everyone on the pill at least one time.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
It is not a reason to change your pill or increase the dose.