Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I am 4 weeks 3 days pregnant and have been prescribed

I am 4 weeks 3 days pregnant and have been prescribed cyclogest 400mg once a day because of my previous short luteal phases, but i only have enough to take me up to 9 weeks 1 day of my pregnancy. Should i be taking it up until at the very least 10 weeks when the placenta is formed and should i wean myself off cyclogest rather than stopping it abruptly?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

It really should be taken through the entire first trimester, 13 weeks. That well overlaps the time frame at which the placenta takes over. If you are taking it for short luteal phase, not recurrent miscarriage, taking it until ten weeks should be enough. At any rate, you will certainly need to take it past 9 weeks.