Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I'm 8 days late period. I haven't been stressed but, I'm

Customer Question

I'm 8 days late for my period. I haven't been stressed but, I'm getting small like cramps in my lower abdomen left side, I had heartburn for 2-1/2 days. I've had dizzy spells but only 2 that lasted a few seconds. I feel sick because of the heartburn and am not able to eat normal sized meals throughout the day, but eat normal sized meals for dinner. I don't have breast tenderness but I took a pregnancy test around 10.30am (first response) and it was negative. I usually have regulated periods but the last few months 2-3 my period lasted 4-1/2 days. Usually it lasts 6-7. Last month I spotted a few times after my period last month and now I'm still waiting for July 8th's period. What could this be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

If your pregnancy test is negative, you are not pregnant. A late cycle means you did not ovulate or you ovulated late this month. That causes the cycle to be abnormally long. It does not necessarily mean that anything is wrong or that you need to do anything different.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you. Just another question, if I think I may be having trouble conceiving should I mention this to my gynocolagist when I have my internal scan?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

If you are only 20, I doubt you are having trouble. The definition would be lack of conception after a full year of trying. That would also include using an ovulation predictor kit for at least 3 months first. They are over the counter. You can mention it to your gyn but it is early to be concerned. Only about 60 percent of couples conceive in the first six months, the rest conceive in the second six months. Very few are infertile.