Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I have two dark spots just inside my outer vulva. I am

Customer Question

I have two dark brown spots just inside my outer vulva. I am worried they are cancer and will get them checked, but what else could they be?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Picture
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

A few questions first to clarify your concern:

1. How long have they been present?

2. When they first appeared was it after sex?

3. They appear to be flat, as opposed to raised, is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi doctor Kala,One of them I have had for over a year, maybe longer. The other one, the one lower down, I just noticed last night for the first time. I was sexually active one week ago. They are flat, correct. Thank you for your response.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response.

First, they do not look like cancer, and given your age that would be very rare. Vulvar cancers typically do not appear until the 60's.

The lower one looks like a "contained hematoma" (CH), which will appear in response to an injury. These may take years to completely go away and often they leave a darkened area. Sex can traumatize the vulvar skin and produce these CH. The good news, as stated above, is that they are not cancer and do not become cancer. As the older one has started to fade in color so will this new one. This is just something to be aware of but is should not cause concern unless you start having multiple ones appear; then it would be important to look at your blood clotting profile. It would be interesting to know if you find these happen at times where in the previous few days you have been taking recreational substances to include alcohol, THC as well. As these things can impact your liver & ultimately your body's hematologic system.

For now just continue to observe periodically. If you find the original start to increase & double in size then an exam is indicated.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.