Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have something that has been playing on my mind. I had my

I have something that has been playing on my mind. I had my hcg levels taken at 15dpo and exactly 4 weeks since LMP it was 621.7, at 17fpo (4+2) 1284 and 19 dpo (4+4) 2884. My husband is a fraternal twin, I'm 30 and this is my first pregnancy. I came off contraception back in March and was taking Vitex to regulate my hormones. I've been told my levels are high by my GP, but are they high enough to indicate it could be twins and justify an early scan? I'm taking cyclogest and if there's a possibility it may be twins I wonder if I should be monitoring my progesterone levels too?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To add to this. I had a positive result on 9dpo when I first tested. My progesterone on day 22 of my cycle was 22.4
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Your hcg levels are completely normal and doubling every 2 days in a normal manner.

There is a wide range of normal hcg levels. Your levels are higher than some and lower than others.

Fraternal twins occur when the mother ovulates 2 eggs at the same time. The fact that your husband is a fraternal twin does not increase your chance of having fraternal twins.

So I believe that your chance of having twins is about the same as for any other pregnant woman.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Thank you for your payment and rating.