Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had my period a week ago. Finished days and now back

I had my period a week ago. Finished for 5 days and now back again. I was on steroids and antibiotics for about two mths for a very bad chest infection. This finished end of april. Would it be something to do with this. I have a very short period in may. Maybe three days.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Are your periods usually very regular and normal?

Do you use anything for birth control? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Regular and normal. Not on anything for birth control.

Stress can upset periods, and the stress of your infection and treatment is the most likely cause for your irregular bleeding.

Stress is more likely to cause bleeding problems during the 30's than when you are younger.

Since you've had regular, normal periods in the past, it's likely that they will become regular and normal again. Your previous regular periods also mean that it's very unlikely that anything serious like cancer has developed.

If the bleeding persists for very long, then it would be good to see your doctor. As long as your exam is normal, some progesterone pills will likely control the bleeding.

If the current bleeding lasts for a week or longer, I would see your doctor for evaluation. Best wishes.

Thank you for your payment and rating.