Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Experiencing lower pelvic pain with smelly discharge one

Customer Question

experiencing lower pelvic pain with smelly discharge one year since stopping the pill.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

How long have you had the pain?

How regular are your periods?

Do you have other symptoms, such as fever, bowel symptoms, etc?

Did the pain and smelly discharge begin at the same time? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'v had the pain noticeably on and off for a year and more frequently within the last month.
My periods are regular every month occurring around the same time, sometimes a few days earlier.
I don't have a fever abd my bowel movements are mostly normal with the occasional loose stools.
The pain and smelly discharge occur at the same time and have become worse this last two months.

Have you seen a doctor about these symptoms? If so, what has been the diagnosis?

Have you been tested for STD's?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I havnt seen my gp yet as I'm struggling to get an appointment. I havnt been tested for an std but that would be highly unlikely. My last smear test was a year ago which was normal.

It's unusual to have a smelly vaginal discharge that occurs with abdominal pain.

Most smelly vaginal discharges are due to bacterial vaginosis,(BV), which occurs due to a change in vaginal bacteria. It's not generally related to pelvic infection inside the uterus or tubes, which can cause pelvic pain. BV is easily diagnosed by your practitioner using a microscope. It's treated with certain antibiotics, although it's not an infection.

Pelvic pain that comes and goes may be due to ovarian cysts, pelvic infection, endometriosis, or other conditions. It will require a good history, careful pelvic exam, and perhaps other tests to determine the cause.

So I would recommend seeing your doctor as soon as you can to figure out the cause of your symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks. Is there anything I can do in the mean time?

For the smelly discharge, you could try lactobacillus vaginal suppositories, which can help to restore normal vaginal bacteria.

It's hard to know what to do about the pelvic pain until the cause is diagnosed. I would avoid any activity that makes the pain worse.