Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Ive had both genital HPV warts 4 years ago (cleared after 6

ive had both genital HPV warts 4 years ago (cleared after 6 months) and 1 x genital HSV1 infection, again 4 years ago and no outbreak since the first one 4 years ago, would this mean i would need to have a C-section delivery for the safety of my baby?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 11 months ago.

Genital warts are common, and do not require a c-section except in rare instances where there are large warts preventing vaginal delivery. A history of genital warts is no reason for doing a c-section.

There is a rare condition where the HPV virus gets on a newborn's vocal cords, but it's so rare that I've never seen it.

HSV 1 can be very dangerous for a newborn, but most newborn infections develop when a woman first gets an HSV infection near the time of her delivery, before she has developed antibodies. A past history of genital herpes is no reason for doing a c-section.

If you developed a genital herpes infection at the time of delivery, a c-section would likely be necessary to prevent contact of your baby with the virus, but since you haven't had a recurrence in 4 years, the chance of one occurring near delivery is very small. I hope that's helpful.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok , i would ask my doctor / midwife for acyclovir closer to my deliver date, just to get some added protection.. firstly, are these safe during pregnancy? and secondly, how effective are they in preventing an outbreak close to delivery?

Acyclovir use in late pregnancy seems to be very safe for the baby. We generally don't use it in someone like yourself with HSV-1 history and no recurrence, since you're very low risk, but it can be done.

Acyclovir is very effective in preventing an outbreak. It would generally be started around 36 weeks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
also, you mention that if someone 'developed' a HSV1 infection at the time of delivery then a c-section would be necessary, do you refer to someone who develops an infection for the first time? or has a re-occurance and sores are present at time of delivery? ..

If there was an active outbreak at the time of delivery, a c-section would generally be done, regardless whether it was an initial or recurrent outbreak. We would not want to risk contact of the baby with herpes sores.

Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
got you.. and thank you.. you've helped me decide i would deffinitely want to be given Acylovir close to delivery date for added protection.. especially as its highly effective in preventing viral shedding and breakout and as you so-mention the meds have no danger to the baby and are safe during pregnancy. Many thanks doctor for peace of mind. much appreciated

Thank you for your payment and rating.