Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

This may be nothing but i'm starting to feel slightly

This may be nothing but i'm starting to feel slightly concerned and so thought I would check. I'm 24 years old. My last period finished about 3 weeks ago (the bleeding had completely stopped), however about a week later I started bleeding again. It has been almost two weeks now and I am still bleeding fairly heavily, whereas usually my period only lasts for around a week at the most. I was just wondering if this is normal/will work itself out or if I should maybe think about having this looked at further. I really appreciate any help you can give.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Do you usually have regular periods?

Do you use anything for birth control?

Is there any chance of an STD? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. My periods are occasionally slightly irregular but have never lasted longer than a week before. Im not currently using anything for birth control. I think the chance of an STD is probably low, my partner has been fully screened and is completely healthy/clear (although It has been over a year since I was last screened myself), and I haven't noticed any other signs or anything else unusual.

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.

I don't think you need to be concerned. Most likely your bleeding is related to your hormones being out of sync for some reason.

At your young age and with fairly regular periods before, there is almost no chance of cancer. An STD can cause irregular bleeding, but that seems unlikely, and this type of bleeding doesn't seem like it would be from an STD.

The bleeding may take care of itself, but since it's been going on for 2 weeks, I would make an appointment with a doctor to check it out. Assuming that your exam is normal, some progesterone pills will likely stop the bleeding. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply and your advice. It has really helped to put my mind more at ease and know where to go from here. Thanks once again! Kind regards.