Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

At 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant by progesterone level was

At 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant by progesterone level was 25.8 ng/ml / 82.06 nmol. I am taking X1 400mg of cyclogest a day. Is my result low for this stage of pregnancy and should I be on a higher dosage on cyclogest?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

What is the reason that you're taking cyclogest? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had short luteal phases (7days long) after having the implanon removed back in March.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My progesterone on day 22 of the cycle I got pregnant was 22.4 ng/ml
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was not taking cyclogest until day 25 of my cycle after my positive

Your progesterone level is quite normal for 5-6 weeks. I would continue taking the cyclogest the same as you're doing, usually up to about 10 weeks, when the placenta will be making plenty of progesterone.

The use of progesterone for short luteal phase is somewhat controversial, with few studies that really show it is helpful, but with a 7 day luteal phase, it sounds like a good idea to me. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I thought that as I was taking 400mg cyclogest per my result would be much higher than it is? Should that be the case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the above should read *per day

You have a normal progesterone level. Higher is not necessarily better. i would be satisfied with your level.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thank you. Just to check, should I expect my level to stay the same now until 10 weeks when it will rise? I'm going to monitor it...

Progesterone levels may rise somewhat or may stay about the same until the placenta starts producing progesterone between 6-10 weeks, at which point the levels tend to rise.