Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Sadly I have herpes. I have been taking acyclovir as

Hi, sadly I have herpes. I have been taking acyclovir as suppressive therapy for a few months, first at 2 tablets a day. I was still getting outbreaks so my doctor told me to take it 3 times a day every 8 hours. I went three months with no outbreaks. However this last 2 weeks I have had 2 outbreaks. Bad ones. I did have an upset stomach for 1 day so maybe the tablets weren't absorbed. But that was 6 days before the on. What does this mean am I resistant to acyclovir, just run down? Can you get obs on suppression therapy? My doctor said I shouldnt. I'm very worried now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In fact I have another outbreak now! Please help what is going on? Why did it work for a few months then stop?

What are your outbreaks like? Do they always occur in the same place? How long do they last? Have they been confirmed by a herpes culture? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are blisters. Not always in the same place but generally 3 areas. Not all cultured but some. I thought acyclovir resistance was rare

Acyclovir resistance is rare.

I am suspicious that all your outbreaks are not due to herpes. Genital herpes doesn't really recur more than once a month.

I would recommend that you see your doctor while an outbreak is present to have a herpes culture done. Then your doctor can figure out what is really going on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you think it's unlikey acyclovir is not working for me? Can you still have some outbreaks whilst taking it?

Yes. Acyclovir is not perfect. Women can have outbreaks, but usually many fewer outbreaks than otherwise.

I suspect that it has nothing to do with acyclovir. Your outbreaks are not from herpes.