Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have several small, smooth purplish /black colored bumps

I have several small, smooth purplish /black colored bumps on my labia majora. I noticed this after i cut myself shaving with a trimmer so i figured it was from that and would heal. However, its been about 4 weeks and looks the same. I also see pinprick sized same colored dots by the labia minora that are not raised. Any idea what this could be? Do you think this is an std??
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

I'm pretty sure that it's not an STD. I don't know of any STD that causes purplish colored bumps.

Purple/black bumps are not uncommon on the labia. They are sometimes from moles, and sometimes from dilated blood vessels.

However, malignant melanoma can also occur on the labia. Although I think it's not likely, I would recommend that you see your doctor for evaluation. If there is any question, one or more of the bumps can be removed under local anesthesia and examined with a microscope. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to attach this picture earlier

My answer is still the same. It's difficult to be very sure when looking at a photo. Your doctor will be able to tell much better seeing you in person.

Thank you for your payment and rating.