Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm not sure if I need to see a doctor but wanted to get

Customer Question

I'm not sure if I need to see a doctor but wanted to get some advice first if possible?
I started my period 6 days ago and a couple of days in, I started to smell a strong unpleasant odour when removing my tampon.
The colour and consistently of my period is different too!
My partner, who has already been through menopause, said her periods changed towards the end.
I am 41 years old and not sure if I'm too young for the change?
I don't have pain around my uterus unless I apply press around my belly but I've had a tender belly for many years.
Can anyone offer advise please?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible that there is a tampon that got forgotten inside?

Have your periods otherwise been quite regular? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've read a few posts where people have forgotten tampons inside.My peoples are always regular.Can you advise if there is a way to remove a forgotten tampon without seeing the doctor?

If there is a forgotten tampon, you'll usually be able to tell by putting a finger way up inside. If you or your partner can feel it, it's usually possible to work it out with a finger. If not, it's easy for a doctor to use a speculum and grasp it with a forceps. The worst vaginal odors can come from forgotten tampons. Once it's removed, the odor disappears.

As far as a change in your periods, that is common during the 30's and 40's. It may be the first step toward menopause, but the actual ending of your periods is likely many years away. As long as your periods are fairly regular, you don't need to worry or see a doctor.

If you have further questions, I'd be happy to answer them. If not, please click on the rating stars. Thank you.