Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Iam 37 trying baby year and a half but still no luck wot

Iam 37 trying for a baby for about year and a half but still no luck wot could be the cause
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

How regular are your periods?

Do you know whether you ovulate and when?

Has your husband ever had children? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My periods are regular every month apart from the odd time when I have an extra one not sure when I ovulate and my husband has 2 children

With your regular periods and the fact that your husband has proven fertility, it's likely that the main reason you haven't gotten pregnant is related to your reduced fertility due to your age. Fertility decreases for all women once they're past 30, and decreases faster after 35.

We recommend evaluation for all women if they don't get pregnant after 1 year of trying. Your doctor can do some basic testing to be sure that you're normal and that you ovulate each month. If that's true, then your doctor can help you to time intercourse each month so that you don't miss your fertile period. A woman is only fertile for a few days each month, so having sex at the right time is important.

Hopefully with some help you'll be pregnant soon. If not, there are other things your doctor can try, such as intrauterine insemination (IUI), possibly clomid to stimulate ovulation, and if it should become necessary, IVF. Best wishes.