Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I wrote to you before regarding having a heavy period months

Hi, I wrote to you before regarding having a heavy period for 2 months after 10 years without one. It's now 3 months. I went to my GP and had a transvaginal ultrasound at the hospital yesterday. Last night no problems but this morning I was woken up by the feeling that I'd wet myself but I found instead that I was bleeding. I'd soaked through a super size tampon, a super nightime sanitary pad, my underwear & pajamas, & a big puddle on my bed. I bled like this for about a minute then I thought it had stopped so put a fresh tampon in but half hour later the tampon was full & leaking again. There is definitely no way I'm pregnant. I've got a call back booked from my GP but not until after 4pm so another 4 hours. I'm just a bit concerned. I'm lying down & have taken ibuprofen. Can you advise please?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 10 months ago.

Do you know what the ultrasound showed?

Did your GP give you anything for the bleeding? Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All I know is that the uterine walls were abnormally thickened she felt the scan data needed to be seen by the consultant. I was given Tran ex a mic Acid on 26/05/16, & told to take 2, 3 times a day for 4 days, but they didn't really do anything. I do still have some but didn't want to use them again without instruction. There's been no other treatment. I had to wait a month for the scan because my GP said my situation had been going on so long it wasn't urgent when she made the referral!

Most likely the bleeding is due to hormonal changes (which have caused the uterine lining to be thick and bleed more), and will require hormones to resolve. If the bleeding is too heavy, you might need a D&C to clean off the lining and stop the bleeding.

Usually bleeding will be less if you're lying down, regardless of the cause, so I'd continue to do that plus take ibuprofen. Since it's just 4 hours, I think you'll be fine, but if the bleeding is really excessive, you might need to call for an ambulance.

Once you see the doctor, your blood count can be checked and a decision made as to whether hormones will take care of the bleeding or a D&C is needed. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What would cause my hormones to change so suddenly?

With no bleeding for 10 years, it sounds like your ovaries were shut down for some reason, and then they woke up again. I don't have enough information to know just why this all occurred. Weight changes, stress, thyroid problems are some of the possibilities.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, I guess blood tests etc will be able to find that out. Is there anything specific I should ask/mention to my Doctor?

No, your doctor will figure it out from the information you've told me, plus testing.

Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. Thank you for your help. Best wishes J

You're very welcome.

Thank you for your payment and rating.

Best wishes.