Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

I had unprotected sex the day before I started my period

Customer Question

I had unprotected sex the day before I started my period which was 3 weeks ago I've noticed the last week I've put weight on n passing urine more what could this be could I still get pregnant
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question. If you count the first day of your cycle as day #1, most women ovulate around day 14 and get their next period on day28. So, if you had intercourse on day 27, for example, there is really no way that this will lead to a pregnancy. Also, a pregnancy test will turn positive about two weeks after conception. So:

1. Check a pregnancy test now and it will be accurate - it will probably be negative

2. Assuming that it is negative, then your symptoms are almost certainly related to the second half of your cycle - many women have fluid retention and change in weight related to the predominance of progesterone during the second half of the cycle

3. If you are urinating more often, you need to get checked for a bladder infection - this is not a sign of pregnancy

I hope that this helps - PLEASE REMEMBER TO PROVIDE A POSITIVE RATING. Thank you,

Dr.Tim