Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm so sorry to bother you again but I'm still a little

Hi, I'm so sorry to bother you again but I'm still a little worried. After signing off from you this afternoon, I spoke to my GP as we discussed. Because, at that point, I believed the 'flooding' to have stopped, we arranged for me to have a blood test next Thursday, & then to see him the following Wednesday for the results of that & to review the scan report from the hospital. The thing is, I got up from lying down about half an hour later & realised that I hadn't actually stopped bleeding at all. It was just that having been lying down with my feet raised for all that time, I had caused, for want of a better word, a "dam", & within about 10 seconds of standing - that "dam" burst & soaked me again! I tried calling my GP back but they'd closed, so I thought I'd give it a little while & see if it happened again. It did. In fact it's happened every time I've stood up for the last 14 hours, roughly 6/7 times, &, aside from feeling really distressed at this point, I'm feeling pretty rough too. I'm quite shaky, & either sweating or cold, no happy medium, I've got a bit of a headache & oddly my arms feel noticeably heavy. I don't look all that great either, just washed out. I'm probably making total mountains out of molehills, but, I committed the cardinal sin of looking up what was considered excessive menstrual bleeding, & they stated more than 80ml during one months cycle. Putting aside that I've been bleeding since the end of April in varying amounts; I'd say that I easily passed that 80ml point with just the 1st & 2nd 'flood' last night alone! & even if I did miscalculate that, which, honestly, I don't think I did, I've certainly gone well past that threshold in the last 14 hours without a doubt. Although surprisingly I haven't had much in the way of period cramps. I have been trying to help myself; I've been drinking plenty of water, & had a little to eat, just in case not having eaten all day was causing me to feel so washed out & unwell (although I think that's unlikely, as I eat very little anyway, & then that's only through necessity. I never actually feel hungry at all, ever. To a point where I sometimes have to force myself to eat. But I'm aware of the need for certain vitamins etc, so I do try to make sure that what I do eat is healthy & varied. Despite this I'm still a large lady. About a size 18/20. But my eating habits are probably not even remotely relevant. I'm just clutching at straws a bit I think). I really am so sorry if I am just over reacting & wasting your time again. I'm just a little bit scared & uncertain. 10 years of nothing then this. Even as a teenager with heavy periods (actually from the age of 8 in fact!), I never experienced menstrual bleeding like it. Sorry if I'm just being paranoid & neurotic. I really do appreciate your advice.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 8 months ago.

I don't think that you're overreacting. I suspect that you have significant anemia from blood loss. You probably need emergency attention. I would go to an emergency room and at least get your hemoglobin checked.

If you are significantly anemic, you may need a blood transfusion and then a D&C.

If your blood count is OK, at least you can get an evaluation and possibly get started on some hormone pills that will control your bleeding.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is it really that serious??

It's difficult to know for sure. Feeling shaky, sweating or cold sound like symptoms of marked blood loss. A simple blood test plus testing your pulse and blood pressure will tell.

If you feel light headed when you stand up, I would not delay.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You probably can't answer this, but would it be likely to be a take a toothbrush job?

I would bring a toothbrush.

Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
One last question please if you don't mind? Do you think I need to call an ambulance? If not I don't drive so would a taxi suffice?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry I meant to put "would waiting for a taxi suffice?"
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry. It was totally ridiculous to ask you that, I'm just panicking a little so not thinking straight. Thank you so much for your advice & support. You really have been a big help. My best wishes to you. Enjoy your Saturday.

If you feel light headed when you stand up, and it lasts more than about 5 seconds, I would call an ambulance. Otherwise a taxi should suffice.

Thank you for your payment and rating and good luck!