Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am about 6 weeks pregnant. Yesterday on 16/7/16 when

Customer Question

Hi, I am about 6 weeks pregnant. Yesterday on 16/7/16 when wiping myself after the toilet there seemed to be light brown spotting. It stopped. But today 17/7/16 it looked like my vaginal discharge was brown in colour but was not wiping light blood on tissue. I don't know what to do as this my first pregnancy and am 36. Please can you try and help.
Thankyou
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Have you had an ultrasound yet? Thank you.

Mild bleeding early in pregnancy is fairly common. It may go away on its own, or it could possibly the first sign of a miscarriage.

The way to know is to get an ultrasound. By 6 weeks, a heartbeat is usually seen. If the heartbeat is present, the chance of a miscarriage is very small.

However, if no heartbeat is seen, then a miscarriage is most likely.

So I would call your doctor to schedule an ultrasound.

If a miscarriage is going to happen, there isn't anything you or we can do to stop it. The bleeding will get heavier, you'll have cramps, and eventually the pregnancy will pass.

In the meantime, we generally recommend avoiding intercourse. You can continue normal activity, but perhaps avoid strenuous activity until this is resolved. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not had any ultrasound yet

If you have further questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Otherwise, please click on the rating stars. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you well with your pregnancy.