Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

I'm round about 9 weeks pregnant and had some bleeding

Hi. I'm round about 9 weeks pregnant and had some bleeding (pinky blood) on Thursday mainly when I wiped after going to the toilet. Then on the night it was brown, today I've woke up and again had a little brown blood on the tissue. But tonight it's gone back pinky like. I have an appointment with the early pregnancy clinic but not until Monday, I'm so worried about it. Need some advice, 4th pregnancy never happened before
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also I don't have any pain
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 9 months ago.

Hello and I am sorry that you have had to wait for an answer. Hopefully I can help.

1. Do you have any cramping?

2. It is common to have bleeding after intercourse - is this part of the picture?

3. No history of miscarriages

Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No haven't had any cramping, haven't had intercourse since Sunday so won't be that. I haven't had a miscarriage before but my mum has had 2.
Do you think it might possibly be a early miscarriage?

Thank you for the response. What you are describing is extremely common in early pregnancy. It is very common for women to report small amounts of spotting with minimal cramping and it is almost never signs of a miscarriage. The statistic is that less than 5% of these reports represent miscarriage. The source of the bleeding is commonly from the cervix which is right at the top of the vagina. It is prone to bleeding which often makes its way out as light pink spotting or a brownish discharge. We also believe that there is spotting associated with implantation of the pregnancy into the wall of the uterus.

In most calls such as yours, we are reassuring the patient that it does no sound like a miscarriage. We are also usually offering an ultrasound to confirm that this is the case. So, I would recommend:

1. That you not worry

2. That you call your doctor and ask for an ultrasound to confirm that everything is okay

Does this help? If so, please remember to leave a POSITIVE rating.

Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the response you have put my mind at ease. I think I'll be having an ultrasound tomorrow so we will see what happens
Thanks again

You are very welcome. Given that I have answered your question, PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME.

If you have any further questions after the ultrasound, you can respond to this question stream.

Dr. Tim

Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience: General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately all day yesterday I was having bright red blood cramping and clots. I've already decided that I know I'm miscarring. And to confirm I have a ultrasound later today. Thanks for all your responses and detailed information.