Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I had a vaginal ultrasound at 6 weeks on Monday by a midwife

I had a vaginal ultrasound at 6 weeks on Monday by a midwife which showed embryos with no heart beats. I went to a different hospital today and the midwife saw NO embryos at all. I've had no pain and no bleeding. I'm nearly six foot tall. She placed the equipment no more than two inches into my vagina, in the past it has been pushed right up to the cervix and wiggled about from one side to another. Is the midwife incompetent? She didn't push it up at all or strain it from side to side. How could I lose two babies at more than 6 weeks without pain or bleeding? My first trimester has been nothing short of a nightmare. Because of incompetent midwives. Each one tells me something different.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

First let me say that competency in performing ultrasounds depends on experience and time. While most midwives can do basic ultrasounds (US), I can't say if any of the midwives who performed your US were or were not competent. At this point you should request an US by a US technician (a person trained to do ultrasound as their job description) or in a radiology department. Midwives just like physicians (non-radiologists) may get extensive training or just a little, they may have a lot or a little experience. But getting an ultrasound by a US tech or a Radiologist (a physician trained specifically in all of the radiology techniques, including US), will definitely have the experience warranted in your case.

The insertion of the probe into the vagina may not have been far enough to get an accurate picture of the embryo. This is why I suggest you request a formal US in a Radiology department or center that just does US.

I do hope the remainder of your pregnancy proceeds much better. Try and keep a positive outlook, as a mother's mental state can impact the baby. And of course make sure you are taking your prenatal vitamins and drinking plenty of water.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.