Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I had my coil and smear test done on Tuesday evening next

Customer Question

Hello , I had my coil and smear test done on Tuesday evening next morning had slight bleed then again slight bleed in the evening , Thursday was ok but Friday morning had slight bleed again and same when ever I wiped my self with tissue paper , yesterday had the same all day but a bit more blood this time and the same today not enough to have to ware a pad but there when I wipe myself. I had the coil in for 13 years with no periods , I'm 57 years old , what can this be please .
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Women, in the mid to late fifties, after menopause the vaginal tissues can become fragile due to the loss of estrogen hormone. They can develop a condition known as atrophic vaginitis (AV), which is simply the aging of the vaginal tissue. This is not dangerous to your health but can cause problems at times, especially whenever the vagina is traumatized. A speculum exam can be traumatic and bleed, this can be solely due to the exam. Even younger women can get bleeding after a PAP smear. The treatment for these symptoms is observation initially. If the symptoms persist then investigation is warranted

Given the time course between your symptoms of bleeding and the previous exam I would say this is the most likely cause. For now continue to observe but also call your provider on Monday to make them aware. She may want to check you if the bleeding persists.

Bleeding, even light bleeding, in a post menopausal woman needs to be investigated, to rule out any other ominous causes, like cancer. If this is your first episode of bleeding after menopause then there is a possibility of it being a precursor to cancer, known as hyperplasia . The investigation can involve several tests, all done in your physician's office. This is why I recommend you notify your provider about the bleeding.

I will tell you, that in my 30 years of clinical practice, most postmenopausal woman who report similar symptoms after a speculum/PAP test and undergo the investigation, the finds are negative for cancer, and about 10-15% have the condition of hyperplasia. Hyperplasia can be effectively treated in almost all cases. So at this point there is no need to worry. Just follow the recommendations given above.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.