Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I ask a question re my period back in May, as I had my

Hi I ask a question re my period back in May, as I had my period then it stop for 3 days then spotted for 5 days. Then I had two normal periods. Then this month it's took 4 days to come on. Then normal period but only last 3 days, then stop for 3 days then spotted for further days on off still now from starting on 29th July.
Obviously I'm concerned as spotting still carried on. I went to doctor and she said now to hormones and being 40. I take no conception and use condoms.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Normal smear February 2015, always had normal ones.
I did have Dcis in right breast in 2012 which was surgery removed, all check ups fine and mammograms ok.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 5 months ago.

Your abnormal spotting and change of periods is likely due to hormonal changes which are fairly common at age 40.

I would recommend seeing an OB/GYN doctor, who would not ignore your spotting as your recent doctor did.

Some progesterone pills would likely clear up the spotting, as well as clean off any extra buildup that may be occurring in your uterine lining. Progesterone pills for a limited time would be completely safe in respect to your previous DCIS.

The spotting could continue and repeat for a prolonged time without treatment. It shouldn't be ignored. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would it be link to cancer, as worrying due to the previous Dcis, today it's more on tissue than just odd spot in mucus

If you've had mostly normal periods over the past several years, then cancer is extremely unlikely.

The spotting has no relationship at all to your breasts or to the DCIS.

The spotting may be very slight or could be heavy, but in either case, it's not normal. It needs to be treated. Without treatment, there would be a chance that over time, uterine cancer could develop.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
always regular periods and normal smears. Is it the lack of hormones due to age that's causing it?

Most likely it's the lack of regular ovulation. Women tend to ovulate less regularly as they get older. Ovulation is what keeps the uterine lining cleaned off. If a woman doesn't ovulate, the lining can build up some, and that's when spotting can occur.

Taking progesterone does the same thing as ovulation, which is to raise the progesterone level temporarily. When the progesterone level drops after about 10 days, a period comes, and the uterine lining cleans off. That prevents further spotting.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have just look up progesterone pills and its say you shouldn't take if if you have had any form of breast cancer!

That's a standard warning for any hormone. They say the same thing about estrogen.

However, your doctor can safely give you progesterone, which for a limited period will not increase your chance of breast cancer.

Your ovaries produce progesterone every time you ovulate. That is just as much progesterone as your doctor would give you for treatment of the bleeding.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As I haven't had any spotting just clear discharge today. Should I wait to see if it stop and how next cycle is or should I go back to doctors straight away

You should make an appointment now and not wait. It needs to be treated. If it's not treated, you'll likely continue to have abnormal bleeding, plus precancerous changes could develop.

Please click the rating stars. Thank you.

Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.