Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I attended an early pregnancy scan yesterday. My last period

I attended an early pregnancy scan yesterday. My last period was July 15th. The scan showed no sac/yolk. A thinning of my womb lining and a small sac under my left ovary which is the same side I had an ectopic tube rupture 7 years ago. Apparently that side still leaks. Is there any chance that I am just early pregnancy and it's not another ectopic?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thickening not thinning
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

When did you first have a positive pregnancy test?

Do you know what your hcg result was in numbers?

Do you have any pain or spotting? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My first (of 6) positives was 2 weeks ago. A very faint line which has gradually got stronger.
My bloods were taken yesterday and I don't know the results yet. More on Friday.No real pain no spotting. I've had a very mild stitch like sensation more uncomfortableness than pain. I feel fit and healthy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
14th August was my first test
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should add just 1 week before my positive I had a negative also.

I'm afraid there isn't much chance that this is a normal pregnancy. A sac should be seen 13 days after a positive pregnancy test.

The presence of a sac in the area where you previously had an ectopic pregnancy is ominous and suspicious for another ectopic.

It will help some to know what your hcg level is. If it's significantly high, then a pregnancy should be seen, and if it isn't seen inside the uterus, that's highly suggestive of an ectopic.

If you do have another ectopic, it will sometimes go away on its own, and can often be treated with medication. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I've been told surgery will be my only option to remove this. Can I expect to go through the same pain as last time before they will take me to surgery?

Many ectopics today can be successfully treated using methotrexate.

However, if surgery is needed, it could be done before you have any pain.

Some ectopic pregnancies will disappear on their own and need no treatment.

Unless your doctor gives you a good reason why you need surgery, I would try to get a second opinion. I don't know how difficult that might be in the UK.