Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

6 days ago i pulled a muscle in my back (my lower back went

Hi, 6 days ago i pulled a muscle in my back (my lower back went into spasm) and spent the first 3 days in bed i am still sore however i am more mobile and in a lot less pain. For those 6 days i have been taking ibuprofen and today i had mild mid cycle cramping along with pink discharge (i normally feel the cramping but never have any spotting normally) my question is could this spotting me brought on by the ibuprofen or is it possible the back trauma has caused this?Thanks in advance.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

No. Ibuprofen or back pain cannnot affect your menstrual cycle in any way. The two are not related. Hope you feel better soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should i just monitor this mid cycle spotting? Possible hormonal issue?Thanks
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

It does not sound like anything to worry about Midcycle spotting is common. Are you on a birth control pill.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, no i dont currently take the pill. Should i maybe consider the pill if the spotting continues?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

No I dont think you need to do anything at all if it occurs with just this cycle unless you want or need birth control

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so if it continues in future cycles at mid cycle is that something i need to go and get checked? Or is this pretty normal? My pap smear is up to date. I do not require birth control at this moment. Thanks for your replies so far.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

It can be normal. If your pap is normal, your only concern would be a std such as chlamydia which can cause midcycle spotting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks very much.