Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I miscarried naturally at 5weeks here is all the dates 07/07

Hi there, I miscarried naturally at 5weeks here is all the dates
07/07 - last period
05/08 - home pregnancy test positive
10/08 - brownish spotting, hcg blood test = 350
12/08 - re run the hcg blood test = 35 - have been told that I will miscarry
14/08 - miscarriage- bleeding for 7 days
27-28 /08 - ovulation symptoms - did home ovulation test- positive - un-protected sex
29/08 - home pregnancy test still positive
30/08 - hcg blood test = 19
07/09 - home pregnancy test still positive!!!
I was wondering can I ovulate will still have hcg in my body? Could home ovulation test show false positive? what about all the ovulation symptoms? lots of clear mucus discharge
Do hcg level need to reach 0 for my to get my first period after miscarriage?
Can I be pregnant again with hcg left over from my previous pregnancy?
Since home pregnancy test never showed negative I cannot trust any positive results to be real positive and not from my previous pregnancy.
I had some brownish spotting 2 days ago could it be implantation bleed for a new pregnancy or is still bleed from miscarriage?
I never had any spotting after my miscarriage 26 days ago, can this new spotting be start of my new cycle and new period.
thanks
I was wondering if ovulation happens while hcg is still present in my body? Do it need to be 0 for me to get my period after miscarriage?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 38 and got pregnant at our first try.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Ovulation tests (OPK) detect LH, ahormone from the pituitary which spikes to cause ovulation. Hcg is very similar to LH, so the OPK can't tell whether it's hcg or LH present in your body.

So as long as you have elevated hcg, you can have a positive OPK.

It's possible to ovulate with an elevated hcg, but it's less likely, since the hcg inhibits ovulation.

So it's most likely that you haven't ovulated since the miscarriage. It would be best for you to wait until your hcg is back to normal (less than 5) before trying to get pregnant. Most likely it will be <5 within another week or so. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how about my period? Will it happen while Hcg is still in my body or Hcg need to be less than 5 for my period too?

You usually won't get a normal period until after you ovulate.

You may have some bleeding or spotting, as you have, but that's neither a period nor likely to be ovulation bleeding. It's either left over from the miscarriage or due to some buildup of the uterine lining due to hormones from your ovaries.

Thank you for your payment and rating.