Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

Is there anything I can take to delay a period of I have had

Customer Question

Is there anything I can take to delay a period of I have had a blood clot a year and half ago caused by being inactive after an operation
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.

Please give me a minute to work on an answer.

Dr. Tim

Please first let me know the following:

1. Where exactly was the blood clot?

2. Did they do any kind of lab work up to determine the cause of the blood clot besides the surgery and immobility?

3. Is there a family history of blood clots?

4. What are your cycles like - are they regular?

Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my left calf.No they didn't they think it was from a back operation as they clot occurred about 3 weeks after the op.No family history and my cycles are regularThank you

In women with a history of DVT (deep venous thrombosis), there is usually a search for a cause. These include labs related to your predisposition to blood clotting. For the completion of this workup, you need a referral to a Hematologist.

Even if this workup is negative, most OB/GYN's would be uncomfortable using hormones to regulate your cycle. The estrogen in birth control pills increases your risk of blood clots and the blood clots themselves can be deadly.

That being said, we do believe that the hormone progesterone given alone is not as much of a risk in terms of causing blood clots. So, in answer to our question, you could certainly talk to your doctor about oral progesterone taken daily OR the depo-provera shot. You are also a candidate for the Mirena IUD which contains progesterone only and usually leads to a cessation of your cycles while it is in place.

What do you think? Does this answer your questions?

Dr. Tim