Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am a 34 year old woman. I have been experiencing spotting

Hi there, i am a 34 year old woman. I have been experiencing spotting after sex and have missed one period in July. At the beginning of august i had some very light bleeding. Then started spotting on the 20 august for a few days. I had intercourse at the beginning of last week and about two days later started spotting which has only just stopped today. I feel very uncomfortable in my vagina and have cramped on and off since this has started two months ago. My husband has had a vasectomy a few years back after the birth of our twin daughters so i know i'm not pregnant. I cannot take the pill only Mirena coil as i had obsteric colestasis however you spell that. Any way seeing my Gp tomorrow, i was just wondering what will happen, will i need to have bloods taken or smear test as im up to date with that. Thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 10 months ago.

How regular were your periods before July?

Was any of the bleeding in August or September like a normal period? Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My periods were always regular, they have always been on the heavier side. The bleeding/spotting was mainly wiping myself after visiting the toilet, i wore pads to see if i would lose any more blood it would be just a spot of blood on them. you would see clear discharge with pink blood. I have felt cramping and very uncomfortable up my vagina, even now as i'm typing this. I have never spotted after intercourse either, so have found that strange, this has happened twice now.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My stomach also feels bloated too. Could i be starting to go through the menopause? or have a hormonal imbalance? What tests would i need to have?

I think that your missed period in July and the abnormal bleeding and spotting since then are all related. After the missed period, you've probably had some extra buildup in the lining of your uterus. Since you haven't had a normal period, that buildup hasn't come out, and that results in spotting/bleeding.

I think that this is not unusual at age 34. It's due to your age and the fact that women tend to not ovulate so regularly during the 30's. Menopause is likely still long off in your future.

Most likely your doctor will do an exam to be sure there is nothing serious. Then the spotting can be resolved using hormones. Usually combined birth control pills would be used, but perhaps progesterone only would be prescribed because of the history of obstetric cholestasis. However, the combined birth control pill will resolve the bleeding better, and is probably very safe for you as long as you currently have normal liver enzymes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You're very welcome.

Thank you for your payment and rating.