Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

For the past yr and half ive had very heavy periods that

Hi for the past yr and half ive had very heavy periods that last nearly 2 wks at a time with pain on a scale of 1-10 hits the 10.. my dr tried different pills which i took back to back but they did not stop my periods and also tablets to help with the heavy flow didnt help. swabs were done and all came back clear. After over a yr of tryin this i got an appointment for gynie who did scans and said i had polyps in my womb at the start of august i got them removed and had a womb biopsy done which showed i had inflammation and i was told to get antibonics and tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea which both came back clear.. now i feel at a lost as this month my period is stil the same and all im being told is to try and get pregnant which me and my partner are hoping to happen but do i stil have a the problem or could it be something else
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

A few questions first to clarify your concern:

1. Have you been pregnant before? If so how long ago? With this same partner?

2. Is your goal to get pregnant or to have easier menses?

3. How much animal products do you consume on a weekly basis, i.e. red meat, white meat, milk/cheese/yogurt?

4. How much soy products do you consume?

5. What changes occurred in your life in the last 2 years, ie. prior to these period changes.

6. Where you told you had fibroids? or polyps?

7. Have you had an ultrasound (US) = sonogram recently? what were the results?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank u for getting back to me.. i have never been pregnant.we have been tryin since jan of this yr.. i would like to get pregnant but also have better periods at the minute while i have it im house bound because of the pain.ive always had bad periods but since start of 2015 they have become unbareable.. from an internal scan i was told had polyps inside womb and fibroid outside it although after bein in hospial for the polyp removal the fibroid hasnt been mentioned.. i dont eat alot of red meat i would drink alot of milk in tea.. im so confused how could have inflammation on womb without an infection showin up
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for your responses.

Your answer to question #2 requires you to choose your most important goal. This is because in order to control your periods the treatment would prevent you from getting pregnant immediately. If you opted to have a Mirena IUD where it would release small amounts of progesterone will help to control your periods and fairly effectively. However this same treatment is use as a contraceptive agent. So it is important for you to decide between the two. Let's say you try placing the IUD for 1 year, then after it is taken out you could attempt pregnancy.

Alternatively you could start on birth control pills (BC) which will also control you periods and are low dose. You could do this for 6 months & then stop. Women who stop taking BCP often have an ovulation surge which allows them to get pregnant usually in the 1-2 months after stopping. This is the method I would recommend given your desire to start a family.

Keep in mind that it is wise for you to be on prenatal vitamins prior to starting to get pregnant. This allows your body has sufficient supplies of vital minerals & vitamins that are important for the developing fetus, particularly the nervous system.

You may want to consider speaking with an infertility specialist in your local area now just in case you have difficulty getting pregnant. I recommend this because you have never been pregnant and you don want to wait until 12 months or longer go by before consulting an infertility specialist

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank u.. bein able to have a baby is my main goal and i will start prenatal vitamins thank you noone has mentioned them to me.. i will consider the pill for few months and see does that help.. do u think i should be concerned about inflammation if it doesnt go away with antibonics or is that just something some woman can suffer from
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 4 months ago.

It is not a good idea to take antibiotics unnecessarily. Inflammation is a general description. While inflammation is a term to describe the cellular changes, treatment should be guided based on the infectious agent. The question to ask is: Were any specific bacteria found on the biopsy to help guide treatment? If not then taking antibiotics will only increase your risk of resistance when you may need them later for a real infection.

I would tell you there are two camps in terms of treating inflammation. Recently the push to treat all inflammation with antibiotics was gaining ground until the realization that this is increasing our rate of antibiotic resistance. While I and many of my colleagues do not recommend antibiotic use for "inflammation" on a specimen report, if the report identifies a bacteria then yes I would recommend treatment.

Let me know if this is not clear. Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time and feel free to ask for me for your next health question

Have a great day!

Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.