Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I went on holiday on the 28th July, and was prescribed an

I went on holiday on the 28th July, and was prescribed an oral pill called provera, to take every day until my holiday was over to delay my period. I came home on the 6th August, and my period started roughly 5-6 days after I stopped taking this pill, so around the 10th August. I had a very heavy and painful period for roughly 2 weeks, however ever since I have had brown discharge every day. Some days it is stringy/gooey and other days it is very watery. It's not heavy but it's always present when I wipe after going to the Loo. My lower abdomin also feels swollen and lumpy when I press into it, and I feel bloated a lot of the time too. I did have a UTI around the beginning of August which was treated with antibiotics, there was also blood present in my urine at the time. I would like to know if this prolonged discharge is normal to last this long? I also had a cervical screening at the start of this year - it wasn't the usual collection of the cells but instead it was a fluid that was wished around to see if there was any cell change present. This all came back normal however I was on my period at the time, and I was worried that this would have given a clear result, although the nurse was happy to continue with the screening. Any advice would be appreciated to put my mind at rest that this sound like nothing serious.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Taking Provera to delay a period is often effective in that purpose. However it is important to know that the medication does have some side effects which are temporary and self limiting , especially when the course of therapy is as short as the one you took.

Bloating is a common complaint, and usually abdominal bloating is more common then other area. Limiting your intake of salt & sugar will limit the amount of bloating. Another common complaint is a change in the next 1-2 menstrual cycles. This is because your natural hormonal cycle was put on hold and now it is trying to get back on rhythm. The brownish discharge is the end of the menstrual flow which took longer to resolve. So yes this discharge can last this long, and next months cycle may see a repeat of it but not as long.

The good news is that all of your symptoms are temporary. They will stop, but it hard to say just how many more days this will occur. I tell my patients to make sure they are giving their body all it needs to do it's function well. That means a good balanced diet with plenty of vegetables of different colors, and some fruit. If you are deficient in these areas then consider taking a multivitamin. Making sure you are getting plenty of water, and avoid caffeine as it can be dehydrating. For every cup of any caffeinated product you should give yourself 2 cusp of water in addition to the usual recommended intake for a young healthy person of 50-64 oz/day.

You should also know that any stress can cause a change in your menstrual cycle, including a UTI. Now that you have been treated for the UTI make sure you continue to drink plenty of water to thoroughly flush your urinary tract and prevent subsequent infections.

Your cervical screen, i.e PAP test , will not be affected adversely by these changes. So wait until you get the results.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much - your advice makes a lot of sense and it's very much appreciated. In your experience, would being on a period at the time of having the cervical screening cause any problems in identifying changes in cells or viruses present? My results came back completely normal however I have always been curious as to whether an accurate reading can take place when on a period during the test? Other than that, thank you for your response.
Jayne
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

A PAP smear can be taken when a woman is on her period, as it is the cells of the cervix that are being examined. today's pathological techniques are sophisticated to be able to evaluate the cervical cells in the presence o blood cells. So the answer to your question is yes.

Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time and feel free to ask for me for your next health question. Have a great day!