Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

25 weeks pregnant. 37 years old. Episodes of fast pulse,

Customer Question

25 weeks pregnant. 37 years old. Episodes of fast pulse, shortness of breath, bodily weakness and feeling of nausea. Occurring daily for 30 - 120 minutes, usually in the morning. This has been going on for around 10 days.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 10 months ago.

How fast is your pulse during these episodes?

Have you seen your doctor about them? Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
at the moment it is around 73bpm and when I had an episode and was able to sit still and take it, it was around 100bpm (manually taken)
I have not seen a doctor, I live in South Korea in an isolated location and seeing a doctor is difficult, I will be seeing my ob gyn next Monday. Also I have diabetes type 2 and I am on 40mg of clexane a day for an immunology issue. I dont know if these are relevant or not.
I teach dance and I am finding my job impossible if I am having one of these episodes.

There is a condition called paroxysmal tachycardia where the heart speeds up occasionally because of heart conduction abnormality. However, the heart rate during one of these is far over 100, so that's probably not the cause.

Otherwise, shortness of breath, weakness, feelings of nausea, some fast pulse are not too unusual during pregnancy due to all the changes in the body and circulation system. Usually that is helped by staying well hydrated and maintaining good nutrition.

Just in case you do have paroxysmal tachycardia, it could be detected by wearing a heart monitor for a day or so. I would mention these episodes to your doctor for further evaluation.

Your doctor will also probably check your hemoglobin, since anemia can cause many of your symptoms. Clexane is a blood thinner, and it might possibly cause some internal bleeding which might result in anemia.

So be sure to drink plenty of fluids and eat well. Most likely there is nothing so serious that it can't wait until your next doctor appointment. Best wishes.