Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Having a period for 13 days now. I am hypertensive. Can I

Customer Question

Having a period for 13 days now. I am hypertensive. Can I take primulot n to stop it? I took it last year and it helped.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 months ago.
What is your question?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am having a period for 13 days now. I have hypertension. Can I take primulot n to stop it? Is it safe for hypertensives?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't see an answer
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 months ago.

Yes it is safe to take with hypertensive medication

Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I took mefenemic acid and it stopped the bleeding. After three days it started again. Should I take mefenemic acid again or start primulot?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 months ago.

I think you should just wait it out. Every time you try to do something to stop it, it will make it worse.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How long does a prolonged period take to stop on its own?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately sometimes the bleeding lasts on and off for the month But it usually resolves on its own as soon as your next period starts.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi so the bleeding stopped and then started again after a week which I'm assuming is my period for October. It's been seven days now and it still hasn't stopped. My normal period lasts five days. What should I do?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 months ago.

You shouldnt do anything It sounds like you need to do something long term though, like consider the birth control pill for cycle control

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But I'm trying to get pregnant. Should I take norethisterone?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 months ago.

No because you wont get pregnant with that treatememt

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Should I just wait for the cycle to get better on its own? Will it get better on its own?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 months ago.

No it is not likely to get better on its own. The more medications you take, the worse you make it. If you have been trying to conceive a year or more with no success, it is time to see a Dr Please click on a rating for the time I have spent helping you thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please tell me if norethisterone is safe to take with methyldopa? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 months ago.

Yes it is. Please consider clicking a rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I rated you three stars after you answered my first question. I wanted to change the rating to five stars because you have been so helpful but I don't know how!
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My gp gave me tranxemic acid 500mg 2 tablets 3 times daily for five days. Should I try this first before taking norethisterone and is it safe if you have hypertension?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 months ago.

Yes it is safe and it is fine to try first

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi! My gp gave me norethisterone 5mg one tablet three times a day for ten days but my gyno had previously given me the same dosage for twenty days for the same problem. How many days should I take it for?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 months ago.

Ten days should stop the bleeding

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I started norethisterone and have taken two doses so far. The bleeding is the same. How long will it take to slow down and stop?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also should I continue taking metformin with it? I take it for pcos.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 months ago.

I cannot really tell you how long until the bleeding will stop Usually within a week. The metformin is a completely separate issue and unrelated. Whether or not you take it is your choice. IT can help with ovulation in women with pcos.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The bleeding stopped after three doses but it has started again. Does this happen?