Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Having a period for 13 days now. I am hypertensive. Can I

Having a period for 13 days now. I am hypertensive. Can I take primulot n to stop it? I took it last year and it helped.
What is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am having a period for 13 days now. I have hypertension. Can I take primulot n to stop it? Is it safe for hypertensives?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see an answer

Yes it is safe to take with hypertensive medication

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took mefenemic acid and it stopped the bleeding. After three days it started again. Should I take mefenemic acid again or start primulot?

I think you should just wait it out. Every time you try to do something to stop it, it will make it worse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does a prolonged period take to stop on its own?

Unfortunately sometimes the bleeding lasts on and off for the month But it usually resolves on its own as soon as your next period starts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi so the bleeding stopped and then started again after a week which I'm assuming is my period for October. It's been seven days now and it still hasn't stopped. My normal period lasts five days. What should I do?

You shouldnt do anything It sounds like you need to do something long term though, like consider the birth control pill for cycle control

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I'm trying to get pregnant. Should I take norethisterone?

No because you wont get pregnant with that treatememt

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I just wait for the cycle to get better on its own? Will it get better on its own?

No it is not likely to get better on its own. The more medications you take, the worse you make it. If you have been trying to conceive a year or more with no success, it is time to see a Dr Please click on a rating for the time I have spent helping you thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please tell me if norethisterone is safe to take with methyldopa? Thank you.

Yes it is. Please consider clicking a rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I rated you three stars after you answered my first question. I wanted to change the rating to five stars because you have been so helpful but I don't know how!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My gp gave me tranxemic acid 500mg 2 tablets 3 times daily for five days. Should I try this first before taking norethisterone and is it safe if you have hypertension?

Yes it is safe and it is fine to try first

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My gp gave me norethisterone 5mg one tablet three times a day for ten days but my gyno had previously given me the same dosage for twenty days for the same problem. How many days should I take it for?

Ten days should stop the bleeding

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started norethisterone and have taken two doses so far. The bleeding is the same. How long will it take to slow down and stop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also should I continue taking metformin with it? I take it for pcos.

I cannot really tell you how long until the bleeding will stop Usually within a week. The metformin is a completely separate issue and unrelated. Whether or not you take it is your choice. IT can help with ovulation in women with pcos.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bleeding stopped after three doses but it has started again. Does this happen?