Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My period came late this month by 4 days but it also did

Customer Question

my period came late this month by 4 days but it also did last month cuz i have irregular periods. and sometimes i skip a month last time it happened was 5 months ago. my period started 27/8 and ended 31/8 last month. however this month at 3/9 my boyfriend and I were fooling around and he touched his penis tip on me which had some precum only and he urinated before it. and now 4 days late on 27/9 i had a brownish spotting with some blood clots in it. could i be pregnant ? i mean brown spotting happens to me but usually after my period like at last 2 days not starts with it.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 5 months ago.

I think that the brownish spotting is just related to the irregular periods you've been having.

There is no chance that you're pregnant from his penis tip touching you.

Spotting is not unusual in a woman with irregular periods. If it's prolonged, then see your doctor to help resolve it. Otherwise it will likely resolve itself. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
its the first time this kind of bleeding happens to me. also last month it was the same 4 days late but was regular blood. ive been reading a lot about implantation bleeding there is no way it can be that ? and some ppl saying that precum on vagina entrance even with no insertion can cause pregnancy.

There is no way it can be implantation bleeding.

Precum on the vaginal entrance with no insertion cannot cause pregnancy.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there is no need for pregnancy tests or nothing ? i just got sexually active this month and it happened to me on the same period of the month so i got kinda stressed when i saw it. implantation bleeding doesnt take more than 3 weeks right ?

Correct. Implantation bleeding occurs about 1 week before a period is due.

I don't think there is any need for a pregnancy test. You can't be pregnant.

Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks alot doctor.

Thank you for your payment and rating.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
doctor for this month i think im skipping cuz its 6 days late and i have absolutely no signs of a period coming i usually get alot of pms symptoms. last month when i told you about the nature of that bleeding it stayed for 4 days only and the blood was lighter than usual like quarter or a pad or just brown discharge whereas it used to be filled with blood. im starting to get worried again about the pregnancy thing. i dont have any symptoms but what are the chances of it happening ? or is it just a missed period and im being paranoid.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 months ago.

If you're not using something for birth control, I would recommend that you do. With your irregular periods, it's hard to know when you're fertile and whether a missed period means anything or not.

If you've been having sex and your period is late, then do a pregnancy test. If you haven't had intercourse, then pregnancy is highly unlikely.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
im not using any birth control and i didn't see my boyfriend since that day 2 months ago because he studies abroad. im still worried about what happened on that day.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
after getting that bleeding that month this is just a missed period or could that bleeding means something else ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there was no other contact but that incident 2 months ago and was the last month bleeding just a normal bleeding and now a missed period ? cuz that bleeding was lighter than usual.

As long as you haven't had sex since your last period, you can't be pregnant.

Women sometimes miss periods, especially when their periods haven't been regular.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
im sorry im being a nuisance this is the last thing im gonna ask. but it lasted 4 days the bleeding last month and was so light. lighter than usual and mostly brownish. its still a period and not anything else ? i read about alot of other bleeding types that could not be a period and made me paranoid.

To be certain, I would do a pregnancy test. As long as it's negative, you're not pregnant.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
umm so it could not be a period ?! Im kinda from a really religious family im scared to go get a pregnancy test. and if its 2 months of pregnancy shouldn't i get some pregnancy signs by now ?

If it didn't act like a normal period, it might just be bleeding.

Usually a woman will have symptoms by 2 months. But the way to be sure is with a pregnancy test.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
well when the bleeding was happening i had cramps and everything is like a normal period only the amount of blood was less and more brownish? and what kind of symptoms should i have?
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 4 months ago.

Hi, as you other Expert opted out of this discussion let me know what question you want answered and I will do my best to help you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i just wana make sure what i got was my period or not. it was 4 days late cuz i have irregular periods ( 32 days ) as it was last month. i had an encounter 23 days before it happened. and he only touched me with his penis no insertion happened. the bleeding lasted 4-5 days and was lighter than usual and brownish. however it had some blood and blood clots in it. and i had alot of pms symptoms like cramps. breast pain and bloating and it all went away after the bleeding ended. however now next month i missed my period even though i did not have any encounter apart from what happened 2 months ago. could it be that im pregnant and that wasnt a period it was some other type of bleeding ?
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for your response.

Whenever a woman has irregular periods it becomes more difficult to say with certainty that she is or is not pregnant based solely on her history. This is because the usual criteria of counting days, etc.are not as exact. So a urine pregnancy test done now, 2 months after your last sexual encounter, will be fairly accurate and can resolve this question quite quickly. And it will get rid of the guess work, which is all that one can do given your information.

That said, the fact that your PMS symptoms resolved with the ending of the period goes with that being a menstrual period and it is more likely that you are not pregnant.

The missing of your period recently however supports that you may be pregnant. So to rest you mind I strongly recommend you take a urine pregnancy test (UPT). The UPT are obtained over the counter, no need for a prescription, and are fairly accurate if a period is late by more than 10 days.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i come from a really religious family so a pregnancy test is kinda difficult to get. however i missed periods before but last time it happened was like 8 months ago. and can if it wasnt a period can it be implantation bleeding 23 days after the encounter ?! i heard it only happens 10-14 days later and last 2 days max. and is it possible to get pregnant without insertion ? and it was just precum by the way not actual ejaculation as it happened nowhere near there.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if its my 2nd month shouldn't i get any symptoms by now ? after the resolved symptoms from last month bleeding i have nothing. no bloating. no cramps no nausea. just some mood swings because my period was due around this time this month.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the information.

You are using data for women who have regular periods. As I mentioned in my answer, this is hard to do for someone who has irregular periods. Precum has sperm so you can still get pregnant, many women still believe precum will not lead to a pregnancy,. I have had too many pregnant women who have gotten pregnant this way.

About 25% of women never have symptoms of pregnancy until mid second trimester. Because every women is different, and symptoms amount, severity etc, can be different for women in subsequent pregnancies, you can not be absolutely sure. If this is your first pregnancy if you are pregnant you cannot compare yourself to friends. Remember everyone is different, and each woman experiences her pregnancy different from the next woman. Tolerance of symptoms vary widely.

I understand that your family is religious however you can still take a urine pregnancy test on your own without your family knowing. You can do the urine pregnancy at a friends house, you family doesn't have to know. You can collect the first urine sample in a container and test it later at work.

Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time and feel free to ask for me for your next health question

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
precum without insertion can cause pregnancy ?
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 4 months ago.

Yes it can

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
doctor norm S who referred me to you said otherwise. he also said it cant be implantation bleeding even if its irregular periods because it happened 23 days later. it could be just a period cuz it lasted for longer than what implantation usually lasts it lasted like 5 days. im just worried cuz it was somewhat lighter and i missed my period this month and looking for some form of reassurance im sorry. what are the chances of me being pregnant and it being just a missed period as it happened before ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when i review on top you will get it the money right ? not doctor norm or how ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the phone service was a miss click sorry
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 4 months ago.

I understand you are worried, and you will probably continue to worry until you know for sure whether you are or not pregnant. This worry is not helping you and is distracting you from living and enjoying your life at the moment.

While I wish I could tell you with certainty that you are not pregnant or that you are, I can not. The different possibilities to explain the events surrounding your menstrual irregularities exist to different degrees. The only constant information that can be provided will be the results of a UPT. Within 5 minutes you could have your answer with much certainty.

If you are pregnant, then yes implantation bleeding generally happens (if it happens at all) about 21-24 days after getting pregnant. No definite date of a pregnancy can now be given due to your history of irregular periods but it is safe to say it was within the 1-3 days of your last sexual encounter. A missed period is always a possibility.

So at this point all I can say, if you are not going to take my recommendation is to wait ans see if your next period returns.

Since your previous expert has opted out, by rating my answer, you will allow me to be compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can you get pregnant with precum no insertion even if im a virgin ?
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 4 months ago.

While i have spent much time and energy answering your questions, you still have not accepted any of my answers. Is there a reason why?