Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I would like to ask that when a cervical cancer is

Customer Question

I would like to ask that when a cervical cancer is discovered at an early stage and the treatment is to take the wound out, would they remove the Bartholin gland as well? Obviously I'm asking this to understand the effect of the operation on the sexual life after.
Thank you for you answer in advance.
Reka
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 11 months ago.

Hello Reka and welcome.

I assume that you mean to take the womb out, also called hysterectomy.

Treatment of cervical cancer would not involve removal or otherwise disturbing the Bartholin glands.

Usually hysterectomy has no significant effect on sexual life, although some women get some stimulation when the penis rubs the cervix.

If the ovaries are removed at the time of hysterectomy, the loss of ovarian hormones can have some effect on sexual life. However, the hormones can be replaced.

I hope that is helpful. Please let me know if you have other questions. Best wishes.