Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I'm on day 30 of my cycle, which ranges from 28-30. I did

I'm on day 30 of my cycle, which ranges from 28-30. I did have bloating but that has subsided. I now have intermittent brown discharge when I wipe but no period. I am worried something is wrong. I am 39.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you are starting your period. Brown discharge is early bleeding and an indication of starting your period. It does not sound like anything is wrong at all. Are you worried about pregnancy? If so, do a home test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't feel like I am about to start and I usually start by day 30 at the latest. I don't have my usual headache, bloating and feeling it's about to start. There is no way I am pregnant. Could I be missing a period and why would that be? Feeling worried.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Missing a period or having a late period is due to late ovulation This occurs from time to time for no reason at all. There is no reason to worry about a late or occasional missed period. It does not harm you in any way and is certainly not a medical emergency.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that helps.
I've now started, day 31. Is it ok to occasionally have a lighter shorter period?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Yes of course, a variation in your cycle means nothing at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am now on day 6, and the bleeding lasted until day 3 when it slowed down. I now have intermittent browny/pink discharge when I wipe. Is that ok?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like a normal, but lighter period.