Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 26 weeks pregnant and I have a bunch of energy. I have

Customer Question

I am 26 weeks pregnant and I have a bunch of energy. I have a normal pregnancy.
I have always been a regular exercise-goer (spin classes and riding on a bike outdoors and on/off treadmill running which never amounted to more than 30 minutes). I have always done other cardio in addition to the running. I stopped for a few months before getting pregnant and then during the first trimester.
I am doing a bunch of strengthening and toning exercises with a PT (lunges squats and other stuff) but I start off with a jog of 25 minutes on a treadmill which gets my HR up but I feel comfortable.
Will this harm the baby/blood flow? I only do this about 4 times a week and I'm nowhere near doing the miles that your runners typically do (I'm not a 'runner' but I love the feeling of completing a 25 minute treadmill run - I'm worried about doing any more time as I'm being conservative during the pregnancy). My HR does increase but never above 155 bpm and usually hovers around 145-155. On occasion it gets up to 160 bpm so I slow it down to decrease my HR. But I always feel good.
Baby is kicking during the day sometimes and I don't feel any changes in pattern. During the run/exercise session my baby doesn't kick.
I also go for 30 minute walks to and from the gym (I run on a treadmill indoors - never outside).
Sometimes my belly feels tight but not uncomfortable. More compact than anything else!
This is my first pregnancy.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 9 months ago.

Moderate exercise has been found to be beneficial for pregnant women. It will not harm the baby or its blood flow. Women who exercise tend to be more healthy and have better pregnancy outcomes in general.

How you feel during exercise is key. As long as you don't feel bad, excessively short of breath, headache, chest pain, dizziness or faintness, then you should be fine.

Your exercise program sounds reasonable and should help you to have an excellent pregnancy. Congratulation!

If you have any other specific questions, please let me know.