Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am a 26 y/o female, and i am having issues. I have used BV

I am a 26 y/o female, and i am having issues. I have used BV pessaries for a week now and has not solved anything. I have also used a Thrush Tablet that also hasnt worked. I have had an STI test which came back all clear as well. I am married and suffer from Vaginismus which has caused me to lose interest in Sex altogether.
Currently I am having issues with smelling down there and it is making me feel paranoid. It is quite a strong smell and i am really paranoid about it, I shower every day but do not use perfumed products in that area. I feel like I sweat quite alot in that area as well. Whether its sitting down. Or being on the tube or sweating. Its embarrassing.
I am on the pill Cerelle, which doesnt give me periods, I have not had any issues with his pill at all and has stopped my my migraines i used to have from Microgynon.
Is the infection I have at the moment too strong to get rid of by using over the counter drugs?
is there something I can do to stop the smell?
or how do I avoid being sweaty down there?
I am so upset over this and I dont know what to do anymore.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 9 months ago.

A strong vaginal smell is usually due to bacterial vaginosis (BV), which is due to a change in vaginal bacteria from the good ones to others that aren't so good. It's not an infection, but it's usually treated with specific antibiotics. The antibiotics can be used as suppositories or pessaries, but if that is not successful, then giving the antibiotics by mouth is usually successful.

I don't think there is much you can do about excess sweating down there, but sweating in itself doesn't usually lead to BV problems. Stress can, so dealing with stress (exercise, good nutrition, enough sleep, perhaps yoga) can be helpful.

Douching seems to increase the chance of BV, so I would recommend against it.

BV can be troublesome. It can usually be successfully treated, but has a tendency to come back. I would work with your doctor, try oral antibiotics, and sometimes using lactobacillus vaginal suppositories can also be helpful. Best wishes.

Thank you for your payment and rating.