Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I have just found out I am six weeks pregnant, I didn't know

Customer Question

I have just found out I am six weeks pregnant, I didn't know and I had a period like normal heavier even. I have just been on a two week all inclusive holiday and drank everyday. I am so ashamed of myself, everything I read is saying my baby will possible have FAS and even facial disfigurement. Is that right, I am now considering if I should have an abortion I feel so bad about the whole situation.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 9 months ago.

FAS is most likely to occur if drinking occurs in the first trimester although all he trimesters are vulnerable. Not all women who drink have a baby with FAS.

It is difficult to detect FAS before the baby is born. But certain physical features like heart defects, size of the head, facial abnormalities can be picked up by ultrasound.

Going in for an abortion is a personal decision but not all women who drink have a FAS affected baby, so it will be better, I believe to wait for your first ultrasound before you take a major decision.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When would these abnormalities show up on the ultrasound, at what stage? Thanks

That will depend on the severity of the features. In the first trimester, only a difference in the size of the fetus in comparison to the time of pregnancy may be present. the fetus may be smaller than the pregnancy age. But it ill be very difficult to say with precision whether these features are due to FAS or due to other causes. Many babies with FAS show no signs on ultrasound at all.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback